Signed into law on April 19, 2017, the Medical Cannabis Senate Bill 386 approved the use of medical marijuana for West Virginia residents with serious medical conditions.
The law approves the sale of marijuana in pill, oil, topical, vapes, tinctures, and transdermal patch form.
How to Get a Medical Card in West Virginia
To be eligible for a medical marijuana license in West Virginian, applicants need to create an account online and then secure a completed physician’s certification form from an approved practitioner.
As of February 2020, a release date for the online application form had yet to be determined.
The state of West Virginia has listed the following conditions as qualifiers for who can receive medical cannabis:
- Position status for human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Huntington’s disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Intractable seizures
- Sickle cell anemia
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Terminal illness is defined as a medical prognosis of life expectancy of approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course.
Where to Buy
Though medical marijuana is legal in the state, patients have yet to be approved for the program and as of February 2020 there were no marijuana dispensaries operating in the state. The state of West Virginia has stated that it is committed to a goal of fewer than two years for patients with a qualifying medical condition being able to procure quality-tested medical cannabis in West Virginia.
West Virginia does not recognize medical marijuana licenses from other states.
Taxes and Medical Marijuana in West Virginia
A 10% tax is levied on medical marijuana sales from dispensaries to patients or caregivers in West Virginia.
Thanks for your feedback!
Sign up for bi-weekly updates, packed full of cannabis education, recipes, and tips. Your inbox will love it.