Arkansas voters approved the Medical Marijuana Amendment in 2016 and the state’s first dispensary opened its doors in May, 2019. The law allows a patient to possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana. The law permits the sale of flower, edibles, crumble, vape pens, topicals, and concentrates.
How to Get a Medical Card in Arkansas
To receive medical marijuana in Arkansas, one must apply online with the Arkansas Department of Health.
The patient or caregiver must submit their Arkansas state ID, proof of residence, physician certification, and a $50 debit or credit card payment. The license is valid for one year and must be renewed on an annual basis.
In Arkansas, an applicant may receive medical marijuana if they (or the person they are providing caregiver services for) has one or more of the following conditions:
- Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus/ acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Hepatitis C
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Tourette’s syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Severe arthritis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Intractable pain which is pain that has not responded to ordinary medications, treatment or surgical measures for more than six (6) months
- Severe nausea
- Seizures including without limitation those characteristic of epilepsy
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms including without limitation those characteristic of multiple sclerosis and any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the Department of Health
If a patient has a medical marijuana license from another state they can apply online for online for out of state registration. The application costs $50 and allows the visiting patient to purchase medical marijuana in Arkansas for a 30-day period.
Where to Buy
There are currently around three dozen dispensaries open in Arkansas.
Taxes and Medical Marijuana in Arkansas
Medical marijuana in Arkansas is subject to the state’s 6.5% sales tax as well as local sales taxes.
Sign up for bi-weekly updates, packed full of cannabis education, recipes, and tips. Your inbox will love it.